What Is PDF/X-1a?
PDF/X-1a is a subset of Adobe's Portable Document Format (PDF). PDF/X1a stands for PDF eXchange 1a. The “1” means that it is a blind exchange document - all fonts and images are embedded and “a” is the variant of PDF/X1 that was ISO accredited ISO standard ISO15930-1 :2001.
PDF/X1a meets the following specifications:
- All fonts and images are embedded.
- All elements are encoded as CMYK, spot or Device N.
- They may not be encoded as three-art color spaces such as RGB or CIELab.
- The MediaBox and TrimBox or ArtBox are defined.
- Trap must be indicated as on or off, alerting the printer to the condition of the document. The printing condition characterized (such as SWOP) through the use of an Output intents operator.
- PDF/X1a resolves many issues associated with basic PDF as a format for file exchange.
If your design program doesn't offer an option to save or export to this type of file, don't worry we can still print it, just inform your sales rep and we'll work out the details.